Saturday, March 4, 2017

Be merciful, O Lord, for we have sinned


Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness;
in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense.
Thoroughly wash me from my guilt
and of my sin cleanse me.

For I acknowledge my offense,
and my sin is before me always:
"Against you only have I sinned,
and done what is evil in your sight."

A clean heart create for me, O God,
and a steadfast spirit renew within me.
Cast me not out from your presence,
and your Holy Spirit take not from me.

Give me back the joy of your salvation,
and a willing spirit sustain in me.
O Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.

Psalm 51:  3-4, 5-6, 12-13, 17



+

Lent is a new beginning, a path leading to the certain goal of Easter, Christ’s victory over death. This season urgently calls us to conversion. Christians are asked to return to God “with all their hearts” (Joel 2:12), to refuse to settle for mediocrity and to grow in friendship with the Lord. Jesus is the faithful friend who never abandons us. Even when we sin, he patiently awaits our return; by that patient expectation, he shows us his readiness to forgive (cf. Homily, 8 January 2016).

Lent is a favorable season for deepening our spiritual life through the means of sanctification offered us by the Church: fasting, prayer and almsgiving. At the basis of everything is the word of God, which during this season we are invited to hear and ponder more deeply….

Lent is the favorable season for renewing our encounter with Christ, living in his word, in the sacraments and in our neighbor. The Lord, who overcame the deceptions of the Tempter during the forty days in the desert, shows us the path we must take. May the Holy Spirit lead us on a true journey of conversion, so that we can rediscover the gift of God’s word, be purified of the sin that blinds us, and serve Christ present in our brothers and sisters in need.

Message of His Holiness Pope Francis 
For Lent 2017




+

Grant, almighty God,
through the yearly observances of holy Lent,
that we may grow in understanding
of the riches hidden in Christ
and by worthy conduct pursue their effects.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
Who lives and reigns with you in the unity
of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.
Collect
First Sunday of Lent

+


You are especially in my thoughts and prayers as we travel this Lenten journey.  Each year we are given a new opportunity to turn away from sinfulness, follow Jesus more closely, and share with others the gift of our faith.  Let’s pray for each other to receive with open arms the blessings which the Lord has chosen just for us.

What is the Lord calling you to do differently this Lent to more fully experience the mercy and compassion found in His Sacred Heart?

Can we more joyfully and patiently conform our will to God’s will?

How is the Holy Spirit inspiring you to renew your own prayer life as well as to encourage others on their spiritual journey?

Thanks be to God for the witness of your faith-filled journey!

+

4 comments:

  1. Gods blessings and gratitude for sharing and always touching my heart❣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and prayers! God bless you!

      Delete
  2. Dear Karen,

    Thank you for your beautiful reflexion.
    Regards to Terry and blessings for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosy:
      Thank you for your message and prayers. God bless you for your faithful witness!

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed and may be edited before publication.