Saturday, May 26, 2012

Lord, Send Out Your Spirit!

Church of the Transfiguration, Mount Tabor


When the time for Pentecost was fulfilled,
they were all in one place together.
And suddenly there came from the sky
a noise like a strong driving wind,
and it filled the entire house in which they were.
Then there appeared to them tongues as of fire,
which parted and came to rest on each one of them.
And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit
and began to speak in different tongues,
as the Spirit enabled them to proclaim.

Acts of the Apostles 2:1-4

+

 Dove of the Holy Spirit
Saint Peter's Basilica, Vatican


The Solemnity of Pentecost which we are celebrating today concludes the liturgical season of Easter.  In fact, the paschal mystery — the passion, death and resurrection of Christ and his ascension into Heaven — finds its fulfilment in the powerful outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the Apostles gathered together with Mary, Mother of the Lord, and the other disciples. It was the “baptism” of the Church, baptism in the Holy Spirit (cf. Acts 1:5). As the Acts of the Apostles recount, on the morning of the feast of Pentecost, a noise as of wind burst into the Upper Room and tongues of fire, as it were, came to rest upon each of the disciples (cf. Acts 2:2-3). St Gregory the Great commented: “Today, the Holy Spirit has come down upon the disciples with an unexpected sound and changed the minds of carnal beings within his love; and while he appeared externally in tongues of fire, their hearts blazed within them, because in receiving God in the vision of fire, they burned gently with love”.

His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI
Regina Caeli, Pentecost 2011



+
Mosaic Detail, Church of the Visitation, Ein Karem
+
On my first pilgrimage to the Holy Land I was with a small group of 5 women from 5 different countries.  While every holy site triggers thoughts which touch the soul, in my mind’s eye I am now seeing the Upper Room in Jerusalem where we sang “Come, Holy Ghost” as our priest chaplain prayed over each of us in turn.  I can still sense the Spirit moving over and around and through us that day, the Spirit that descended upon Blessed Mother Mary and the disciples on that first Pentecost.
On my most recent pilgrimage to the Holy Land I was leading a group of 12 people, who referred to themselves as “the disciples”.  We were privileged to be received by His Beatitude Fouad Twal, the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem.  His Beatitude greeted the group by telling us that “Jerusalem has not been the same since Karen came with 500 women from 50 countries,” referring to the 2010 World Union of Catholic Women’s Organisations (WUCWO) Centenary Assembly.  When he later told me that I should bring a group every month, I chuckled and shook my head thinking that would not coordinate well with my work at the parish.  Little did I know at the moment that more than 21 years of employment would come to a sudden and unexpected end upon my return from the Holy Land.


+

Now I have discerned that His Beatitude, and several friends in Christ whom I have had the privilege to come to know during my service to the Universal Church, are affirming what has been in my mind and on my heart.  I believe that the Holy Spirit is calling me to share with others more deeply the unique, incredible experiences with which God has blessed me.  Please will you prayerfully consider allowing me to share with you the global experiences God has bestowed?
It would be my privilege to accompany you on pilgrimage to the Holy Land, to go to the roots of our faith and walk in the footsteps of our Lord Jesus and His Blessed Mother Mary.  The Holy Scriptures come alive there in ways you never imagined as you visit the holy places. We will meet the local Christians who look forward to welcoming you “home” as a member of their family.
We could go on pilgrimage to Rome, the Eternal City, where the universality of the Church becomes a reality as the arms of the colonnade of Saint Peter’s Square embrace you.  Our Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI has declared a Year of Faith from October 2012 – November 2013 and is encouraging us all to go on pilgrimage especially to Rome, the Holy Land, and to sites dedicated to our Blessed Mother Mary.
The pilgrimage possibilities are as limitless as God’s creation, Jesus’ love, and the Holy Spirit’s inspiration.  Will you allow me to share these adventures with you?  Will you entrust me with organizing a journey in faith for you, your family and friends, your parish or organization?  Please God, your answer is, “Yes!” 
I hope to hear from you soon at k.m.hurley1@gmail.com.
Come, Holy Spirit!
+

Church of Saint Peter, Jaffa, Israel
+

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed and may be edited before publication.