Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Who is Jesus of Nazareth for Us?

"Who is Jesus of Nazareth for us? What idea do we have of the Messiah, what idea do we have of God? It is a crucial question, one we cannot avoid, not least because during this very week we are called to follow our King Who chooses the Cross as His throne. We are called to follow a Messiah Who promises us, not a facile earthly happiness, but the happiness of heaven, divine beatitude.”

“May these days call forth two sentiments in particular: praise, after the example of those who welcomed Jesus into Jerusalem with their “Hosanna!”, and thanksgiving, because in this Holy Week the Lord Jesus will renew the greatest gift we could possibly imagine: He will give us His life, His body and His blood, His love. But we must respond worthily to so great a gift, that is to say, with the gift of ourselves, our time, our prayer, our entering into a profound communion of love with Christ Who suffered, died and rose for us".
 

            His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI
            Angelus, April 1, 2012, excerpt




+
 

"Each of us was loved by Jesus 'unto the end'; that is, unto the giving of Himself on the cross, when He cried: 'It is finished'. Let us allow ourselves to be touched by this love, let us allow ourselves to be transformed, so that the resurrection can truly be achieved in each one of us".


His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI
Audience, April 4, 2012, excerpt





+


You were close in my thoughts and prayers during a recent glorious pilgrimage to the Holy Land.  It was a time of great blessings for me and, I believe, for the first-time pilgrims who accompanied me. Thanks be to God for giving us this amazing gift to journey to the roots of our faith, to pray at countless holy sites, and to be with our brothers and sisters in Christ who are the “living stones” of the Holy Land. The readings of Palm Sunday and Holy Week are especially meaningful as they draw me back to all of the places we visited just days ago.


I knew it would be difficult to come down from Mount Tabor, the Mount of Transfiguration.  However, I was not prepared for what would happen within a half an hour of my return to the parish:  I was informed by the pastor, in the narthex of the Church, just after Mass, that my position as Pastoral Associate was eliminated and that I had been terminated because of the parish’s dire financial situation. Needless to say this was a shock to me and my dear husband, who was with me at Mass.  How does one quickly assimilate such “news” and shift gears after more than 21 years of service?  The answers are still unfolding.


I do know that God never fails to show His immense love for me and will use the rich experiences of my “former life” as He raises me to a “new life.”   Jesus gave me this special cross to carry during Holy Week so I could be more closely united to His suffering and the sufferings of the whole world.  The Holy Spirit will reveal God’s wondrous will for me and more amazing blessings in His time.
 

What special cross has Jesus given you to carry?

How do we allow ourselves to be touched by His love?

 Will we allow ourselves to be transformed by His love?


+












No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed and may be edited before publication.