Monday, August 15, 2011

Sing Her Litanies


My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant.

From this day all generations will call me blessed:
the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.
                                                Luke 1: 46-49


… Mary is taken up body and soul into the glory of Heaven, and with God and in God she is Queen of Heaven and earth. And is she really so remote from us?

The contrary is true. Precisely because she is with God and in God, she is very close to each one of us.

While she lived on this earth she could only be close to a few people. Being in God, who is close to us, actually, "within" all of us, Mary shares in this closeness of God. Being in God and with God, she is close to each one of us, knows our hearts, can hear our prayers, can help us with her motherly kindness and has been given to us, as the Lord said, precisely as a "mother" to whom we can turn at every moment.

She always listens to us, she is always close to us, and being Mother of the Son, participates in the power of the Son and in his goodness. We can always entrust the whole of our lives to this Mother, who is not far from any one of us.

On this feast day, let us thank the Lord for the gift of the Mother, and let us pray to Mary to help us find the right path every day. Amen.

His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI
Homily, 15 August 2005

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/homilies/2005/documents/hf_ben-xvi_hom_20050815_assunzione-maria_en.html


Reliving Mary

Because I want to see her again in you

I went into church one day
and with my heart full of trust, I asked:
"Why did you wish to remain on earth,
on every point of the earth,
in the most sweet Eucharist,
and you, you who are God,
have not found
also a way to bring here and to leave here
Mary, the mother of all of us who journey?"

In the silence he seemed to reply:
"I have not left her because I want to see her in you.
Even if you are not immaculate, my love will virginize you,
and you, all of you,
will open your arms and hearts as mothers of humanity,
which, as in times past, thirsts for God
and for his mother.
It is you who now must soothe pains,
soothe wounds, dry tears.
Sing her litanies
and strive to mirror yourself in them."

Chiara Lubich, Founder
Focolare Movement, “The Work of Mary”



Chiara Lubich, Founder - Focolare Movement

It was a brief encounter at the Congress of Laity held in Rome in the Jubilee Year 2000, but which has remained fresh in memory.  Surrounded by photographers with cameras flashing in her face, Chiara Lubich, gracefully approached the podium to speak to the historic gathering.  She exuded serenity and love, along with a confidence that comes from doing the will of God.  Her eyes were with alight with the Spirit:  they seemed to penetrate into my soul and reflected the Spirit which she saw within me.  A seed was planted which God would nurture over the next decade.

Maria Grazia Villani and Karen Hurley

Also at the Congress I met an Italian woman who was like my guardian angel, kindly watching over me and always eager to help me.  We would not meet again until several years later at the offices of the Pontifical Council for the Laity, where we embraced as long lost friends, under the patronage of Mary, Seat of Wisdom.  Maria Grazia helped me to “reconnect” with Chiara, and modeled the spirituality of “the Work of Mary” which I quickly came to recognize and appreciate in so many focolarini I have been blessed to meet and work with over the years:  in Rome, Jerusalem, Washington, and beyond. 

Maria Voce, President - Focolare Movement
Karen M. Hurley, President General - World Union of Catholic Women's Organizations

Maria “Emmaus” Voce, President of Focolare, welcomed me, as President of WUCWO, to Rocca di Papa, where we shared our hopes and efforts “that all may be one” (John 17:21).  With Grazia’s kind interpretation I was able to share my appreciation for the focolarini, beginning with Chiara, whose prayers and actions had assisted in my service to the Church and the world.

My experiences, in visits with members of the movement, always call to mind the peace, joy, and praise of God expressed in the Visitation of Mary to Elizabeth.  What a gift our Lord has given us in Mary!  How blessed are we to feel her closeness and motherly care!  May we always “sing her litanies” and strive to show her kindness to others.


At the tomb of Chiara Lubich
Rocca di Papa (Roma)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed and may be edited before publication.