Sunday, May 1, 2011

Blessed John Paul II

Today the Church celebrates the Beatification of Venerable John Paul II.
Thanks be to God for the witness of his faith, hope and love.

I had the privilege to meet and speak with Pope John Paul II many times through my service to the World Union of Catholic Women’s Organizations (WUCWO).  But the first time--my first trip to Rome in 1996--was an incredible experience. 

What a thrill to receive a ticket to the General Audience in Saint Peter’s Square and be directed by the Swiss Guard to the prima fila seating from where I would be able to greet His Holiness at the conclusion of the Audience.  The joyful anticipation was felt throughout the Square with the sound of music playing, people singing and chanting.  The energy, as well as the sense of peace, was palpable when our Holy Father rode in on the popemobile.  It was the peace which stayed with me throughout the greetings, remarks, Benediction, and throughout my brief personal time with Pope John Paul II. 

His Holiness looked at me and listened to me as if I was the only person in the world—as if there was nothing more important to demand his attention than our exchange of words.  Surely this ministry of presence is just a glimmer of God’s presence to us and care for each one of us.  He reached out and made the Sign of the Cross on my forehead.  It was the most natural, relaxed encounter.  Not until later as I walked through the Square did my knees start to shake as my mind raced:  I had just talked with the Pope! 

I was invited to Mass the next morning at the Holy Father’s private chapel in Castel Gandalfo.   At the appointed time, the Swiss Guard allowed me to enter the Apostolic Palace along with other invitees.  As we entered the chapel, Pope John Paul II was kneeling in prayer before the altar.  His head was bowed, his hands were over his ears almost as if he were blocking out all of the sounds and demands of the world in order to listen only to God speaking to him.  You could feel the intensity of his communion with the Lord.  After the beautiful liturgy I was again able to personally greet Pope John Paul II.

I am humbled by these and other privileged encounters with now Blessed John Paul II. 
Deo gratias.

For more information regarding the Beatification, please visit:


1 comment:

  1. Praise God that Pope John Paul II has been beatified! What a joy-filled and spiritually uplifting experience you must have felt when you were meeting with Blessed John Paul II. Thank you for sharing this moving and elating moment in your life with your council sisters and friends throughout the world.

    Gwen Allen, President
    Orlando DCCW

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed and may be edited before publication.